Sunday, November 2, 2014

What's So Great About Being a Teacher?

Day 1 of the Attitude of Gratitude Reflective Teacher @TeachThought Blog Challenge.


The best thing about being a teacher... it's simple...
it's the students!

I love the learning and teaching I facilitate with them, their humour, the challenge of helping them find their passions and talents and be the absolute best they can be.  I love that moment when you can see them switch on to learning and become as crazy about it as I am - especially if they were not the world's biggest fans to begin with.

The opportunities to work with amazing like minds who are my colleagues means the world to me as does the professional learning but I always come back to the students.  Why?  Because they are at the heart of everything we do, everything I do.

It's been nearly 16 years since I started in this incredible journey, almost by accident, and I am as passionate about what I do today as I was on the first day at university.  The outside pressures, judgements made in the media and everything other little thing that can cause stress are nothing when you keep your students at the heart of everything you do.











#reflectiveteacher #edblognz #edchatnz

2 comments:

  1. So if you weren't going to be a teacher, what were you going to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacqui! Initially a Dr when I was in the 7th form but my dad died so that changed a few things. Almost went into the Police - family tradition, but then I started to complete my degree in Psychology. I wanted to work with Children and thought that having the experience of school would be beneficial and I'd have better insight so I went to Teachers College. The plan was to complete my studies and the first two years so I would get my full registration but I walked into my first classroom and was hooked from then on. Might still complete the Psych degree one day. :-)

      Delete