Sunday, October 17, 2021

Aotearoa e tōnui nei | Thriving Aotearoa uLearn21

The theme of uLearn21 was Aotearoa e tōnui nei - Thriving Aotearoa. I am always excited about uLearn and have been attending for many years. Due to our current situation in Aotearoa, this year's conference was online. My excitement was tempered a little bit by Tāmaki Makaurau heading into Week 8 - or is it 9? - of our current lockdown. We've had four so far and this has been the longest. I'm always a bit of a Pollyanna, but this one is even getting on my nerves, so I wondered if I could be as enthusiastic as I have been in the past about the incredible learning that is uLearn. I needn't have worried. You know that saying about 'something you didn't know you needed?'  I always know that this is a conference I need, but this year's one had something extra special. It came along at the right time and has given so many of us an incredible boost, along with awesome tools that we can incorporate into our practice. 

Most importantly, it made us think, question, reflect, and have a driving need to take action. The four keynote speakers, alone, created so much energy that the ever-present focus on lockdown just disappeared.  There was so much incredible food for thought over the two days that there will need to be many blog posts to not only reflect on what I heard but importantly, to reflect on what action I will take in my life and teaching practice to make and support changes needed - not only personally, but also in terms of Education in Aotearoa. I am incredibly fortunate to be able to learn and teach in a kura that is already so well on the way in this journey of thriving. 

As a bit of a taster, here is one of the Keynote Speakers presenting at a recent TEDxWelington. Jase Te Patu has a very special way of connecting with his audience and challenging us to be more and do more. 

                                             Jase Te Patu (Ngāti Apa, Ngāti Ruanui, Ngāti Tūwharetoa)
                                             TEDxWellington 2019


Having an online conference has many benefits including:

 - People who dislike crowds can participate more confidently;

 - If you have hearing loss, you are more than ably catered for - the sign language interpreters often stole the show!

 - As all sessions are recorded, there is plenty of time to be able to go back and revisit those that really got you thinking and, importantly, to be able to watch the sessions you weren't able to attend because you were at another incredible session.

As a conference that is inclusive, this is a fantastic example. 

Although the theme was #ThrivingAotearoa, I noticed another theme that seemed to run through nearly every session I attended - and also the ones I've watched since - the theme of space. Space to think, space to dream, space to be listened to (and heard), space to be individual and unique self, space to just be.  This theme, particularly in the current challenging climate seems to me to be just as important as the main theme. 

Perhaps it is this 'space' for what we need individually that leads to us thriving? What space do you need this Term to be able to thrive?

4 comments:

  1. Funny my first request this term was to not have any junior exams. I looked at the calendar and it is mad. Why on top of everything should I put the ākonga through a high pressure junior exam when I already have a piece I am going to use to assess their learning? I can not thrive if I am simply marking out of compliance rather than allowing my students authentic learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to read your blogpost Justine. Even though I am in Whangārei and we haven't been in lockdown anywhere as long as you, I also hoped uLearn would meet my expectations. Like you, I found it to be perfect for what I needed right now. The keynotes were incredible and the focus on hauora/wellbeing and the space to know that is vitally important was pitched incredibly well. Love your spin on the benefits of an online conference. I was SO impressed with the sign language interpreters - especially with the songs/waiata/music. Bring on Term 4 and fingers crossed back to a kanohi ki te kanohi space and place. Thanks for sharing your blog.
    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora e hoa. I’m so pleased you enjoyed ULearn and that it was able to give you ‘space’ to think, reflect and have a head break for just a little while from the lockdown. I agree, I loved the online version of ULearn for its inclusiveness and rewind ability! The keynotes were next level brilliant and I’m so proud they were all home grown talent! Loved reading your blog, keep up the amazing mahi e hoa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. E mihi ana e hoa! I love ULearn too this year for all the same reasons! I’m so pleased it gave you the ‘space’ to learn, reflect and of course have a well earned mind break from lockdown! Loved reading your blog e hoa. Keep up the amazing mahi!

    ReplyDelete